It’s time. My plan was to start blogging again June 1st and here I am. Considering we’re closing in on the 2011 halfway point, I thought I’d start with a goals check-in.
What have I been up to? Lots and lots of writing and editing, and I’m too excited to report that I’m over my target word count for both so far this year.
Rather than write another novel or two this year, I decided instead to focus on short stories. So far I’ve written 15+ new rough rough rough shorts, most still in my journal. Some of the stories are part of a whole vampire fairy tale series, just like I’d hoped to write this year. None of the stories will sit in my journal for too long. I’ve joined #fridayflash, a weekly Twitter group at http://fridayflash.org. This friday is week 4 for me, and I’m hooked. I might even write two a week, considering all the material I already have. I’ve been releasing the stories here and on the Vamplit Blog. Even submitted one of my stories to their second print volume. I also have plans to submit some of the others to online and print magazines and anthologies.
I’ve been pulling my hair out, trying to think of regular things to write here, but haven’t come up with much. Yesterday they opened registration for the 3-Day Novel Contest, which is another goal for this year. So I’ve added a once a week post about preparing for the challenge to the agenda and will blog through the contest like I did last year. I also enjoy writing wine reviews, so I’m kicking around the ideas of sharing our favorite varietals once a week. All my other blogging will be posted on the Vamplit Blog. In fact, I’ve already started over there with #fridayflash, and Vamplit’s #humpday #horrorchat, a weekly chat about all things horror we do every Wednesday on Twitter. All the directions you’ll need to join us available from the link. We’ve got a whole bunch of other stuff planned over there and will let you know as we implement it.
Oh, and I’m still ripping through The Courier. It’s gotten tricky because I’ve moved it to Scrivener to track the entire series. Much better than my old system, but *heavy sigh* the series is getting more and more complicated, so maintaining all the background information is pretty time consuming. The entire plot for the 5th book is figured out and I’ve even found a way to entwine it with another novel series I created years ago. Oh, and I got tons of editing done during NaNoEdMo, although I fell off the blogging during the challenge and never mentioned the final result. It’s only getting better and is still on target to complete editing before the start of the 3-Day. That and I’ve done a ton of work on a couple versions of the synopsis, which you may have seen me complaining about.
We haven’t done much work on Bloodlegger’s 🙁 R. J. and I have been off doing our own thing but we’re writing book 1 together for NaNoWriMo this year, so we’ll get back on the outline wagon soon.
Now that I’ve sufficiently bored you about novel progress, I’m off to make some meatballs for dinner.